Data protection policy
Bioscientifica needs to collect certain types of information about the individuals who come into contact with the organisation. Bioscientifica is committed to ensuring that this personal information is collected and dealt with in full compliance with the Data Protection Act (1998).
2. Data Controller
Bioscientifica is the Data Controller under the Data Protection Act, and has a Data Protection Officer with responsibility for ensuring compliance with the Act.
3. Data collection
When collecting data from you, Bioscientifica will ensure that you:
- clearly understand why the information is needed and how it will be used
- have given consent to your data being processed freely and without duress
- understand what the consequences are should you decide not to give consent to your data being processed.
Bioscientifica may share your data with other agencies, such as the local authority, funding bodies and other voluntary agencies. In most circustances, you will be made aware how and with whom your information will be shared.
However, there are circumstances where the law allows Bioscientifica to disclose data without your consent. These are as follows.
- Conducting any legal proceedings, obtaining legal advice or defending any legal rights.
- Monitoring for equal opportunities purposes – i.e. race, disability or religion.
- Providing a confidential service where the individual's/service user's consent cannot be obtained or where it is reasonable to proceed without consent (e.g. where we would wish to avoid forcing stressed or ill individuals into providing consent).
5. Data storage
All information and records relating to you will be stored securely and will only be accessible to authorised staff and volunteers.
Information will be stored for only as long as it is needed and will be disposed of appropriately.
It is Bioscientifica's responsibility to ensure all personal and company data is non-recoverable from any computer system previously used within the organisation, which has been passed on to a third party.
6. Data access and accuracy
You have the right to access any information that Bioscientifica holds about you. Bioscientifica will also take reasonable steps ensure that this information is kept up to date. To request access to your personal information, please email the Bioscientifica Data Protection Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Updates to this policy
This policy will be updated as necessary to reflect best practice in data management, security and control and to ensure compliance with any changes or amendments made to the Data Protection Act 1998.
If you have any questions about this policy please contact the Bioscientifica Data Protection Officer: email@example.com.