- About us
- Event Management
- Association Management
- British Society of Echocardiography
- British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes
- European Society for Endocrinology
- European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology
- European Thyroid Association
- Society for Endocrinology
- Society for Reproduction and Fertility
- UK and Ireland Neuroendocrine Tumour Society
Ruth Andrew holds a Chair in Pharmaceutical Endocrinology at the University of Edinburgh and directs the Clinical Research Facility Mass Spectrometry Core. She is a Council and Committee member of the Society for Endocrinology as well as General Secretary elect (2021).
Ruth sits on grant panels for the Chief Scientist Office, FWO (Flanders), and the Commonwealth Commission. She is also a Reviews Editor for the British Journal of Pharmacology, a Specialty Chief Editor for Systems Endocrinology (Frontiers in Endocrinology) and an Associate Editor with Talanta.
After qualifying as a pharmacist in 1990, Ruth studied for a PhD in the field of pharmaceutical analysis, using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry as an approach to profile catecholamines in hypertension. In 1994, she joined the Endocrinology Unit in the University of Edinburgh to develop further interests in mass spectrometry and establish its use in steroid profiling in cardiovascular disease.
Since then Ruth has investigated the regulation of glucocorticoid metabolism and her group has focused on the role of hepatic 5α-reductase in diabetes and in dynamic methods to quantify these metabolic pathways in vivo using stable isotope tracers.